Tuesday, August 24, 2010

v39.5: Speechless

Howdy folks,

-slurp-

I know it doesn't happen often, but I'm speechless.  Today started like any other day, I woke early, got ready for work and drove to the office.  I arrived at work shortly after 7AM and began the usual tasks of checking email, restarting services (if needed), answering email and coding.  I do this all day long.

Today my boss' boss sends me an IM shortly after 8AM and asks me to come talk to him.  Usually I don't think anything of this since we get along well and he usually only needs to chat with me if he needs clarification on something or has some task for me to do.  I strolled over to his office, knocked on the door and walked in.  I started to worry a little bit when he asked me to close the door.  The only time he ever asks me to close the door is when we're talking about private things (work related you sick-Os) and he doesn't want to be overheard.  My first thought was I was being laid-off and would need to find another job.

Ever since I was moved to this new billing code at work I've been thinking the worst.  My boss explained to me that being put into this code would potentially be bad.  He explained the good and bad but emphasized on the bad parts because worst case scenario, I would be unemployed.

I sat down in the chair across from him and he immediately started with, "I'm sorry, but things just aren't working out...".  My heart dropped in my chest and for a split second, my entire career flashed before my eyes.  He smiled, let out a chuckle and said, "Just kidding".  You bastard!

The reason he had called me to his office was to let me know about an Employee Bonus incentive reward plan at work.  He wanted to let me know that he put my name forward to receive this reward and I was approved.  I couldn't tell initially if he was joking or not, so I went with it.  Basically, because of the hard work and good job I've been doing, I was recognized and as a result, my next pay will have a nice sized bonus on it; almost doubling my bi-weekly pay.  Now that isn't a ton of money, but it couldn't have come at a better time especially with the kids heading back to school and needing money for school supplies and other back-to-school things.  Needless to say, I was very happy with the meeting and left his office with a spring in my step.  Who would have thought such good news could come on a Tuesday?

-slurp-

Well folks, I must take off for now.  I just wanted to share the good news with everyone.

Cheers,

Al

3 comments:

  1. And my birthday!! Woooo!! lol Congrats again brudder dearest, I'm so proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations.. a well deserved award. I'm so proud of you :o)

    ReplyDelete