Thursday, July 22, 2010

v39.0: Versions are...

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Howdy folks,

-slurp-

Apparently I've been taking examples from work with my versions for Musings over Coffee.  For whatever reason, I skipped a few versions and just noticed it today.  Such is the way things go sometimes.  What's a geek to do?

-slurp-



I thought I would be clever and post some witty definition of  version but upon looking it up I was greeted with a lot of definitions that I just had no idea existed for version.  For example:

manual turning of the fetus in the uterus (ouch)

an eye movement involving both eyes moving synchronously and symmetrically in the same direction (what are you versioning at?)

Of course the version I'm talking about is none of these, but simply a specific form or variation of something.  I use versions in Musings over Coffee mostly because I like numbers and this is an easy way to incorporate numbers in my daily writing.  I'm also a bit of a coder and tend to use versions in my coding when I make updates.

-slurp-

You see versions everywhere.  Think of some well known operating systems out there like Linux, Windows and MacOS.  They all have versions and with each version they attempt to get better (well, Linux and MacOS do anyway).  Even movies have "versions".  No, I'm not talking about Terminator 1 and Terminator 2, those are technically called sequels since they are not updates to the same movie but different movies altogether.  But movies like Journey to the Center of the Earth which were older movies remade into new are technically considered different versions of the same movie.  So why am I going on about versions?  I have no idea.

-slurp-

Well folks, I'm constantly getting distracted here so I better get this saved before I completely forget why I'm typing.  This weekend the family and I are heading out to the lake and I'm really looking forward to having a great time with family and friends drinking copious amounts of rum and heading out onto the lake.  Good times.

Cheers,

Al

2 comments:

  1. do you mean, heading out onto lake and then drinking copious amounts of rum... :o) safe boating practices and all..... Can't wait to see you all. :grin:

    ReplyDelete