Wednesday, July 21, 2010

v38.9: Introducing Jupiter Squirrel

Howdy folks,

-slurp-

Hard to believe today is Wednesday; seems like just yesterday it was Tuesday.  I'm looking forward for this week to be finally over and done with.  This weekend is the family reunion on my mother's side and we're really looking forward to heading out to the lake and spending some quality time with family we haven't seen in awhile.  I moved back home to be closer to family so it's nice when an opportunity comes up and it is only a few hours drive away versus a 6 hour plane ride.

-slurp-

I bet you're all a bit confused by the title of today's musing.  This has been an idea I've been throwing around for the last few years.  I came up with the idea for a cartoon character one day while watching television with the kids.  Kids shows today are crazy.  It is almost like someone took a bunch of hats with different ideas in each one.  Then they took an idea from each hat and made a show out of whatever the ideas combined into.  How I came up with Jupiter Squirrel is pretty much the same thing.  I knew I wanted to do a cartoon character.  I also knew I wanted this character to live in space and I wanted it to be something absolutely random; I mean, the cartoons in space has been done to death.  I started my research with Google and began searching for lists of "things" for my new character.  I grabbed a list of random places in space, a list of random animals, a list of random names and a list of random occupations.  Then, closing my eyes, I randomly picked two from each list.  Initially I had wanted to combine the two from each list but I don't think anyone wants to watch a show about a squirrel cow mix; or do they?

-slurp-

The end result was a squirrel who, oddly enough, doesn't live on Jupiter.  He actually lives on a planet called.... well, I don't want to spoil the story.  I have already done some sketches and have come up with some concept drawings that I will be sharing with everyone when I get them finished and scanned in.  I'll probably start with something simple like a comic strip and see if I can figure out how to create an actual cartoon.  Hell, I've even got a voice for him already so I'm pretty pumped about getting this project going.

-slurp-

Well folks, it is time to bid you all farewell yet again.  I've been doing some work on the site these past few nights and I've been cleaning up some old posts that had nothing to do with Musings over Coffee and I've been slowing going back through all the posts and correcting spelling/grammatical mistakes as well as adding tags to all posts to make them easier to search for.  I've also been looking at designing my own theme and time permitting I'll have that up and running soon as well.  Lots of exciting changes and I'm really excited about getting things done.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment