Wednesday, June 2, 2010

v36.4: Why Sci-Fi?

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

It would appear that another day has dawned and the Earth has rotated another 360 degrees so our side can face it once again.  Imagine living thousands of years ago thinking the sun was the one that was moving?

-slurp-

I used to be a huge astronomy fan when I was younger.  The planets, stars and just overall "space" used to interest me.  It is no wonder that in later years I enjoy sci-fi shows that take place in space.  Star Trek was a favorite for awhile, but I contribute that to my Father who seemed to always have Star Trek playing on the T.V. when we were younger.  Every time we walked into the living room, Star Trek was on.  I don't know whether Star Trek was played a lot back then or if it was just my perception that it seemed to always be on, but it was sure on a lot at our house.

-slurp-

Technology has come a long way since then and the sci-fi shows of today are a lot more realist and probable.  Scientist today are looking to create real-life devices from some of these older sci-fi shows and are sometimes adopting the same names.  There was a documentary on T.V. not long ago that talked about how Star Trek influenced science and technology; it is really quite interesting even if Star Trek isn't your thing.

-slurp-

Recently my wife and I have started watching the Stargate Atlantis series.  For some strange reason she really likes it.  I was a bit hesitant at first as I used to watch SG:1 and wasn't a huge fan of it.  Atlantis seems to be a lot different (yet similar) and has everything you could want in a T.V. show, including humor which has caused me to lol.  The show is fairly predictible but that doesn't seem to bother me much as there are enough twists in there to make it interesting and keeping the viewer interested to see what happens in the next episode.  Another series we watched together was the remake of Battlestar Galatica.  Taking an old idea and throwing a new spin on it was what really interested me in that show.  You really felt connected to the characters which made the show that much more interesting.  I also liked the fact it wasn't your typical Star Trek with a nice clean ship with beautifully sculpted panels, chairs and computer systems; Battlestar Galatica was like a massive submarine in space with no view screen to see outside or anything like that from the bridge.  It felt "more real" somehow.

-slurp-

Of course I could go on and on about science fiction and space and all that other fun stuff but I'm sure most of you are dozing off right now so I will call it a day and start getting some work done.  As I've already mentioned, we are moving this week and I have the rest of this week off and most of next week off to get things settled.  If I don't get an opportunity to post again this week, I hope everyone has a great week and a nice weekend.  Until next time...

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

4 comments:

  1. I seem to remember watching cartoons and when Dad came home he would change the channel to star trek. That's what made me hate that show! I never did get to finish watching all the JEM episodes. Now if they come out with a remake of That, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... oh the memories. Even today just the thought of watching another Star Trek episode makes me nauseous and panicky, looking for an escape.. any escape from one more "beam me up Scottie"... lol Jem I remember fondly.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JEM JEM is truly outrageous! truly truly truly outrageous

    ReplyDelete