Tuesday, April 27, 2010

v35.8: Yawn

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

Just wanted to fire off a quick musing today.  I haven't gotten a roll-up cup in almost a week so I think it is safe to say the contest is officially over.  I will be archiving my Roll-Up 2010 page into my Life section of the site so if you don't see it at the top of the site anymore, don't fret, it has only been archived and still available.

-slurp-

This year I didn't drink as much coffee as previous years.  I think that is mostly because I've gotten in the routine of only having 1 cup a day and rarely seem to have time in the afternoons to go down and get another.  It is actually quite funny when you analyze the data and see the difference from the first year I did this in 2007 where I had 105 coffees and this year where I only had 56.  That is nearly a 50% drop in 4 years.  Of course back in 2007 I used drink double doubles (2 cream, 2 sugar) as well so that means I've dropped 154 single cream and 210 single sugar shots that I normally would have had during the roll-up season.  I almost feel sick to my stomach thinking about it.

-slurp-

Needless to say it has been very busy at work lately.  I started training my replacement on my team so someone can take over my responsibilities so I can move to the new team which will be starting in May.  It wasn't until I started teaching my job to someone else that I realized how much work I truly do here.  Granted a lot of the things I do today will follow me to the new team, there is an amazing amount of things I will be able to offload to the new person which will hopefully remove some of the stress of my day-to-day job.  I can't say yet whether this new team is going to be a good move for me or not.  I'm still at a place of uncertainty.  I'm sure things will work out just fine and I'll find I enjoy the new position even more, but I still need to on-board and train 9 people all while I keep things running with the 6 people I already have.  I think the time to step back as a technical resource and embracing the leader within is finally at hand.  There is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to manage a team of 15 people and remain technical at the same time.

-slurp-

Well folks, there are a ton of other things on my mind today but I don't really have the time to write.  I promise I will find some time this week and write something truly magical and inspiring.  Until then, remember to turn off your car while waiting to avoid idle fumes.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment