Friday, April 16, 2010

v35.6: Friday WoW

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

What a week this has been.  I wish I could say it is over but I still need to make it through this day before I can finally say my work week is over.  I won't say it hasn't been stressful but it has definitely been busy.  Between things going on in the office and things going on in our personal life, I've barely had time to sit and relax or even play any games.

-slurp-

It is a good kind of busy.  The kind of busy where you work for 8 hours straight and at the end of the day you've felt like you've accomplished something and the day flew by because you weren't sitting there staring at the clock waiting.  Almost every morning this week I've been greeted with "something" that occupied most of my day.  Wednesday there was approximately 5 hours of meetings in my agenda (one was 2.5hrs long by itself) and that ate up a good portion of my day.  We also had a couple of outages with our product this week due to a piece of code that was reverted back.  I like development work, it actually seems challenging and fun, despite the headaches and yelling.

-slurp-

Tonight is our gaming night.  Every week (typically on Friday) my wife and I login to our addiction (WoW) and meet up with a few friends of ours and lay the smack down on some dungeon.  It is the one night a week I really look forward to and the fact that it takes place at the end of my week makes it all the more fun.  Sometimes we run into issues and sometimes there is frustration but at the end of the night everyone has had a good time and can't wait for next week when we can do it again.  Of course there is usually a follow-up thread on our message board about it where usually the same person has an issue about something we did.  We typically banter back and forth for the majority of the week about it and then have a good laugh about it in our next run.  These people that we play with every week are real people, not computer controlled avatars.  These are real flesh and blood individuals who have good days and bad days just like me.  Sometimes it is easy to forget that this is only a game and nothing more.  Some people take it WAY too far and become so addicted they have difficulty separating real life from WoW.  This is dangerous.

-slurp-

Recently I've cut back my WoW play time.  Not because I want to, but more because I need to.  It is easy to get caught up in the game and play it every single night but with the new expansion only a few months away, people are hurrying to complete things in-game that will be going away with the expansion.  Part of our Friday night runs we've been working on an achievement where we complete an entire dungeon without anyone dieing on any of the bosses.  If we can pull it off, everyone will get the title "the Undying" beside their name.  Yeah, that's it, just a title.  But hey, when they take that title out of the game nobody else will be able to get it so those of us who worked hard to get it will still have it.  It becomes something to be proud about even if it is only a virtual title.

-slurp-

Anyway folks, time to take off and get some work done.  In 8 more hours I'll be done and my weekend will begin!  I'm excited.  It is also my wife's birthday this weekend so I'll need to make sure I make that day extra special for her.  Until next time...

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your night tonight. It's always nice to have something to look forward to. :o)
    Love you

    ReplyDelete