Tuesday, March 30, 2010

v35.1: Tap Tap Tap

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

Welcome to another wonderful Tuesday morning of fun.  I had a couple messed up dreams last night.  I won't go into them in detail but let me just say, you shouldn't flush the entire contents of your Green Bin down the toilet; it won't work, even in the dream world.

-slurp-

So I have a new position at work.  Well, it isn't actually a new position for me but it is a new team that I will be joining doing a similar job.  My boss' boss came to me late last week to give me the news and asked me if I would be interested.  Now before I go any further let me say there will be no more money involved, there will most likely be more work involved and I will be looking after more people than I currently do today.  Why would I accept such a job offer?  Quite simply because it puts me back into a co-sourced role where I take direction from the customer again and it gets me back into a part-time technical role again; something I've been missing lately.

-slurp-

This new team will actually be 2 teams combined, both co-sourced.  Now for those who have no idea what I mean by co-sourced and out-sourced, let me give you a very simple explanation.  Co-sourced is when the you have both a company and client manager giving you direction.  In these cases, typically, the client has more say on your day-to-day job.  Out-sourced is when you have no client manager and get all your direction from the company.  This is a very simple explanation as there are also differences in the way we are billed and such but this should be enough to give you an idea where the issues were and why this is a good change.

-slurp-

Up until February of last year I have been Co-sourced and was fairly happy with that role.  Then I was sold on this new position where I would be completely Out-sourced and have only one manager to deal with.  Unfortunately, I was thrust into the middle of a power struggle between my client manager and my company manager and found myself relaying messages back and forth getting increasingly frustrated and angry at both of them.  I even drafted up my resignation letter and had it printed and ready to turn in.  It was a bad year.

-slurp-

I think my client manager sensed there was an issue (that and I pretty much told him I was ready to quit) and he helped me out by requesting I join this new team along with 9 others.  I thought he was joking but once it was confirmed by my company manager I started to get a bit excited.  Who gets excited about more work with no pay increase?  I do!

-slurp-

Anyway folks, that is a bit into what's been going on lately and why I haven't been around much.  Hopefully I get a chance to post more frequently as I've wanted to; especially during the roll-up season!  If you haven't checked out my recent winnings/losses lately, there is a nice little link at the top of the page that will take you there.  I try to keep this updated daily so it should always be fairly accurate.  Take care folks and remember to take out the trash on garbage day.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that things are looking up a bit at work. Will this be less stressful?? I hope so. Coming from a family whose main breadwinner hasn't had a raise since I've known him, I now appreciate more the measly 30 or so cents an hour I get each year. It's not much but at least it's something. However, that being said, with minimum wage increasing at such a rate, some 16 year old school kid will soon be making as much as this 40 year in the workforce veteran... pretty scary... and frustrating as hell.
    So, since the money issue doesn't seem like it's going to improve any time soon, I hope that less stress will make this new position more enjoyable. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
    Miss you guys
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new better (hopefully) job!!
    And for GREAT subconscious info on your dreams.. go here: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

    I do.. and you'd be surprised at how things that you don't even realize might be bothering you creep up in your subconscious!

    ReplyDelete