Thursday, March 11, 2010

v34.4: One More Day!

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

I have one more day before I start 9 days off.  I've been looking forward to this week off for a long time and finally it is almost here.  If I remember correctly, this is the first solid week off I've had since this time last year (March Break).  How does one burn through 3 weeks of vacation in a year without ever taking an entire week off?  Very very carefully.

-slurp-

So what are my plans next week?  Other than getting my Tim Horton's coffee for roll up the rim and writing daily here, I have no big plans to speak of.  The kids will be out of school and there is a potential for some all-day babysitting for my wife but other than that we will be staying close to home and hopefully the weather is nice so I can get outside and do some minor repairs and clean-up around the house.  I also need to assess the pool to make sure there was no damage done this winter and start getting ready to open that up in a few months.  All things considered, we've had a very mild winter this year.  I can only think of a few days where it was really cold and there were only a couple days where there was a lot of snow and the schools were canceled.  I was talking to my elderly neighbor the other day and he was telling me about going fishing in May and there still would be snow on the ground and ice in the rivers.  Here we are in March and there is no snow anywhere and the ice is melting off the lakes.  They say global warming is a myth :)

-slurp-

I was watching another documentary on TV last night around the 2012 predictions.  Last night they were talking about a tenth planet in our solar system that follows a completely different orbit than the others.  This plant has passed by the earth before and because of the size and magnetic field coupled with the close proximity it will by the earth, it is enough to destabilize the Earth's magnetic field and cause the tectonic plates to shift.  According to the ancient Egyptians, this has happened before and some of the old texts describe this huge ball shaped object in the sky which has brought destruction before and will again.

-slurp-

Now I've heard a few different ways we're going to meet our end in 2012.  The movie 2012 actually covers one theory where the Sun will blast the earth with solar radiation causing the plates of the Earth's crust to all shift.  While the special effects in the movie were great, I highly doubt things will happen this way should an event like this really take place.

-slurp-

So why 2012?  What is so significant about that year?  Why do Ancient Egyptians, Mayans and other ancient civilizations all predict the end of the Earth around the same time?  I also find the actual date interesting.  Since we recognize the Winter solstice on the 21st Day of December, there appears to be some significance to this event (even though it probably happens a bit before or a bit after the actual date) and the year.  Scientists are also saying the Solar Cycle will reach its next peek in 2012 and they are predicting this next cycle will be much worse than the last.  You can click on the link above to read more about it but from looking over the data and information I could find on the effects of Solar Radiation and the effects it has on the Earth, I highly doubt the next Solar Cycle will be enough to cause any major issues other than some more power outages or loss of satellites in space.  But what do I know?  I'm no scientist and haven't dedicated most of my life studying the Solar Cycle, so don't take my word on it.

-slurp-

Anyway folks, enough dooms day talk for today.  What happens will happen and there is not much we can do to stop it.  I hope we have more than a couple years left but nobody knows the day or hour when we will be gone.  Well, someone does, but that is a Musing best left for another day :)  Take care folks and we'll see you here tomorrow.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment