Tuesday, March 9, 2010

v34.2: Neither Rhyme nor Reason

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

In 1564 the man who coined the phrase "Neither Rhyme nor Reason" was born.  Many of us know who this man is and in his short 52 years of life, wrote some fairly amazing stories and plays.  You know him as William Shakespeare.

-slurp-

The phrase actually comes from one of his plays titled "Comedy of Errors" which was written in 1590.  It simply means something makes no sense, from either a poetic or logical standpoint.  I have encountered such a thing today as I arrived at work; the ever annoying Annual Performance Appraisals.

-slurp-

In general, performance appraisals are a good thing.  They allow managers to point out issues (or in the odd cases, good work) an employee is having and also allows the employee to provide feedback and provide a self evaluation.  This year I get to do appraisals for my team members and I'm so excited because my company has already stated there were no annual increases this year so really this entire process becomes moot and pointless.  I see neither rhyme nor reason to actually do an annual performance appraisal if it has no impact on whether one of my team members is going to get a raise this year.  It is completely pointless and a complete waste of time.  To make matters worse, the time line to have these wonderful things completed takes place while I'm on vacation next week.  So guess what I'll be doing?

-slurp-

I could write about this all day but that wasn't my intention when I came into the office today.  I typically spend my drive into work thinking on a topic to write about and usually by the time I get into the office I have either forgotten what it was I was going to write about or I get side tracked and need to work.  Thankfully it looks like it was a fairly quiet night last night and things seem to be good today.

-slurp-

Regardless of how much I'd rather sit here and write, I need to go and start my day.  I do have a pile of things that need to get done this week before I start my performance appraisals vacation (yay), so until tomorrow..

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

2 comments:

  1. tell them to give you a raise or they won't be done until the week after.. who needs them when they are guaranteed not to get a raise already.. right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Katie on that one... but I suppose you best tow the line or you'll get a bad performance appraisal which in turn won't affect the raise that you're not getting either. Just type up one and then copy and paste.. .just change the name. I have choice words for your company, but they're best not said in a public forum.
    I have to go check out your Roll Up the Rim chart.. I can' t tell from your musing whether or not you won anything today.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete