Thursday, February 11, 2010

v33.0: Week of Hell

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

As the title suggests, this has been a week of hell for me.  Typically the work week is fairly busy and there are a lot of things said and done that make little to no sense at all, but this week has been especially frustrating.  Maybe I'm just getting tired of what I'm doing; restless and wanting to do more with my life perhaps.

-slurp-

There isn't a whole lot to complain about really.  Work is work, and as I've said before, if it was always fun it wouldn't be called work.  But shouldn't there be a certain pride in your job?  Shouldn't you feel like you've done something good, worthy of the pay?  If you told me 10 years ago that I would be doing what I'm doing today, I would work my ass off to avoid it and not arrive at this point.  At what point in my career did I decide to put away everything technical I worked so hard to accomplish to be a team leader?  Hell, I wouldn't even go so far as to call my position a team leader, more like a lackey who is instructed to baby sit a bunch of career professionals.  Seriously, who comes up with these pseudo titles?

-slurp-

But enough about my job, I could write hundreds of musings about this place but I'm depressed enough so why make it worse?  My "out of the office" life is much more interesting.  Well, interesting may be stretching it a bit, but I have everything I could possibly want out of a home life.  I have a beautiful family who I love, we have a nice house, some nice things and overall we're doing OK.  We have issues like any other family but the majority of the time we're happy.  The whole reason I work is to support them and even though I dislike my job role, my responsibility to them outweighs everything else.

-slurp-

How has everyone else's week been?  A couple of my friends who live south of the border who work for the US Federal government have been enjoying a few days off this week.  Four days so far, to be exact.  I find it funny actually, the amount of snow they received actually isn't all that much when you consider the amount of snow we get up here.  If the same storm had hit us, we would be out maybe one day and then the roads would be clear and everyone would be back to work the next.  I'm sure not everyone there is missing work right now, but the government offices are shut down.

-slurp-

To be unable to work and still getting paid a full day has me feeling a bit jealous.  These guys haven't had to work since last Friday and here we are on the heels of another Friday which is also a long weekend in the US.  Imagine having 10 days off, getting paid for 6 of them and not having to use any sick or vacation time?  Yeah, I'm jealous :)

-slurp-

I opened up a shop on CafePress this week.  I'm working on a logo design for my apparel and when I have everything setup and running I'll be posting a link on the site.  People will be able to buy shirts, sweaters, mugs and various other articles all sporting the Musings over Coffee domain name and my famous "-slurp-".  Right now I have the word "-slurp-" on the front of the shirts with the domain name written across the back.  My plan is to put a coffee cup on there somewhere as well.  Imagine drinking your morning coffee from a mug with the word -slurp- written on it.  How cool would that be? :)

-slurp-

Anyway folks, time to sign off for today.  I can't wait for roll-up-the-rim to start, I've been really looking for a reason to write daily and I think this contest is going to be one to remember.  Remember to lift with your legs when shoveling snow!

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

1 comment:

  1. hey.. I love that t-shirt. That's a cool idea.
    Who would have thought?
    I hear ya on the work thing.. I was one of a few who made it to work on time this morning after a foot of snow fell last night. No work, no pay. I can't imagine paid days... sick days, storm days, vacation days.. I don't think I've had any in all my years of working. No work, no pay.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete