Tuesday, October 20, 2009

v31.2: I See You

Howdy folks,

-slurp-

No, I don't really see you but I thought I'd write briefly while I had some time and let you all know about a little site my wife discovered the other day that may surprise you.  Every once in awhile I come across a website that I like to share with you all here, hopefully you enjoy this one.

-slurp-



emailInitially we wanted to find something that will do a reverse email lookup to verify the identity of a person who sent us an email.  What we found (as you will soon see) was much much more, and ended up taking up an hour or so of our time playing with it.

-slurp-

The site is called Spokeo (http://www.spokeo.com/single).  For the most part it is a pay site (to get more detailed information) but you have the ability to do basic email lookups for free.  In geek speak, it is a social networking aggregator.  For the rest of you, if you've ever posted on a social networking site (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) or have posted pictures somewhere accessible to the public, this thing will find it.  We did a few searches on a few friends and family members and in some cases the information available was quite shocking; it was even able to tell us the location of the person.  Spooky!

-slurp-

technologyEvery once in awhile technology has a way of making people sit back and say "WOW".  I don't normally get "WOWed" on the web but this site definitely made my eyebrows raise.  You were doing it weren't you?  Raising your eyebrows because I mentioned it?  Yeah, that is fun.

-slurp-

Anyway folks, it is getting late and I need to get to bed so I can wake early and pretend I'm enjoying what I'm doing at work.  I have another topic brewing in my head that I'm trying to write out, so hopefully I have something for you to read tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.  Remember, the only way to kill an artificial plant is to not pretend to water it.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

1 comment:

  1. That is a freaky site, for sure!! Not fully updated though, I wonder where it gets the majority of the information from.. says I'm still in Calgary. That's fine by me tho! Don't want someone showing up on my front doorstep someday just from doing an easy search on the net! Yikes..

    ReplyDelete