Friday, August 7, 2009

v28.9: Fantabulous Friday

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

You're not seeing things this morning, it is indeed Friday.  For some of us this marks the end of a long week of work and the beginning of a glorious weekend; for others it is just another day.

-slurp-

I awoke this morning tired and confused.  The fact that it was Friday didn't fully register at first.  I had to look long and hard at the Calendar and cross referencing it with my BlackBerry to make sure I wasn't seeing things.  Then, like a wave crashing down the surf, the reality of what day it was hit me.  I have been looking forward to this day all week.  Why you ask?  Here are a few reasons:

  1. My son comes home from a week of camp

  2. My Mother is coming to visit this weekend

  3. My Daughter's 7th Birthday party

  4. It is the last day of work for the week

  5. It is Payday

  6. Long Weekend for me (Monday and Tuesday off)


Imagine waking up and forgetting what day it was only to find out it was Christmas morning.  Of course today isn't Christmas yet (thank the gods) but it is the next best thing and I can't wait until work is over.

-slurp-

But I digress about real life.  If you wanted to read about real life you would read my biography.  Of course for you to read that I would need to write one, so I guess your out of luck there.  You see, a biography is simply defined as an account of the series of events making up a person's life.  Normally the "person" is someone well known or important to many; which I am not (yet).  Also, I am only in my early 30s and have many many more years of life left; I am also not one to only write half a story (oh wait!  I knew I was forgetting to do something) so why write a biography about a guy in his early 30s?  I've been a child/teenager longer than I have been an adult, what life lessons could I have possibly learned that are worth sharing in a biography?  You see my point?

-slurp-

I must admit, I'm a bit stuck on that last sentence: I've been a child/teenager longer than I have been an adult.  There is so much truth in that statement that it is like a major wake-up call.  It is simple math really; a person ceases to be a child at the age of 13 where they become a teenager (get it?  ThirTEEN, FourTEEN, FifTEEN, etc.  You'd be surprised how many people don't notice that).  You are then considered a teenager until the age of Twenty.  Funny that you cease to be a teenager at the age of 20 but are not legally an adult (in most places) until the age of 21.  Twenty is an interesting age.  I remember when I turned 20; seems like it was just yesterday (lol).  So if you're considered a child->teenager for the first 20 years of your life and you take 20 and double it you get 40.  That means, until you reach the age of 40, you have lived more as a child and teenager than you have as an adult.  Kind of encouraging for those of us who think they're "old" after 30.  Since the average lifespan of a person in Canada (as of this musing) is 81.2 (yeah, .2), you should expect to live as long as your childhood/teenage life at least 3 times over as an adult.  In that case, you have no right to feel old until you've reached that last 20ish years, so I don't want to hear any more bitching about being old. :)

-slurp-

While I'm on the topic of life and life expectancy, did you know the average life expectancy for someone living on the planet earth is only 66.6 years?  In fact, the lowest life expectancy I could find was 40.4 years in Lesotho which is a little country in South Africa.  Hard to believe isn't it?  Think of all the people you know that are older than 40 years.  Now imagine all of them being dead and gone.  I can't imagine being in a place like that; my mother and father would have both died before my first child was born.

-slurp-

Now that I have depressed everyone I need to take my leave.  I have a lot of things I need to get cleaned up today before I go home.  I am only in the office half a day today so there is quite a bit I need to get done.  Remember to take at least 5 minutes today to close your eyes and imagine yourself in a happy place.  Learn to shift your perspective and you will be a happier person.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

2 comments:

  1. I'm in a happy place right now.. and lovin it...
    This day can only get better... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the ONLY thing I have to say to this blog is "You're only as old as you feel!!!!!!!" ... Right Mom?!?!! haha <3 You!

    ReplyDelete