Monday, June 29, 2009

v27.2: Schools Out For Summer!

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

Today school is officially out for summer here in Nova Scotia.  Today the kids go back for a couple hours to say goodbye to friends and teachers, pick up their report cards and pick up any possessions left over from the year.  I remember as a child how the last day of school used to bring me so much joy.

-slurp-



The days of school bring back so many good and bad memories for me.  It is hard to believe I've been away from school for so long already; it has been over 15 years since I last stepped into a class room.  Talk about feeling old.

-slurp-

A friend of mine introduced me to a new game over the weekend; it is called Evony.  Basically, if you are an RTS (Real Time Stratagy) fan you'll love this.  At first the game looks a lot like Age of Empires.  You start off with a plot of land and a main building.  You can create other buildings like a blacksmith shop, barraks and other familiar structures that you would expect from an RTS.  The main difference with this game is it is multi-player Massive multi-player.  Basically, the game is split up into servers (we play on Server 18 if you want to join us) and each server has a country split up into multiple provinces.  You pick a province to settle in and are given a plot of land to build your city.  All around you are other player cities; some massive, some small.  You have 7 days of grace to build up your city and then after the grace period you are now attackable.  Invading cities can come and pilliage your city and take your resources (food, lumber, gold, etc).  You can build up walls, archer towers and many other things to defend yourself.  One nice thing about this game is it continues to play when you're not there.  Your "peons" are continuing to gather resources while you're offline and your city grows.  I've only played the game for a few hours so far and I'm hooked.

-slurp-

Of course Evony is free to play though they do have a system in place where you can spend real money to buy in-game currency/objects.  If you really want to get ahead of the curve of a noob player, you can put in $30(USD) and get a huge chunk of "coin" which can be used to really enhance your city.  Of course if you're thinking of putting that kind of cash toward a game like this, I recommend you wait until July 4th.  They are having a promotion on the 4th (until the 10th) where if you purchase the $30(USD) package you get an extra bonus of coin as well as a huge pile of in-game items and resources for the same price.

-slurp-

I must apologize to everyone for not getting the story put up on the site yet.  I haven't had a lot of free time lately with summer here and the kids wanting to spend time in the pool and the people coming and going.  This past weekend my sister and my brother-in-law were moving so they were back and forth from their place to mine dropping off stuff to store in my garage until their new place is available.  It took them a couple days to uproot their life and temporarily relocate it.  They will be moving again tomorrow and Wednesday which should be fun; I love helping people move :)

-slurp-

Well folks I need to run.  This is a short week for me (only 2 days) so I need to make sure things are covered for the days I am going to be out of the office.  I promise to have the first chapter of my story up on the site before the end of the week!

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment