Wednesday, May 13, 2009

v24.9: P90What?

Morning folks,

-slurp-

Just a short musing this morning.  I have a meeting promptly at 8AM this morning so I've arrived at work a little earlier than usual to prepare and to write a quick musing.  Since the meeting starts in less than 15min from now I doubt I'll get too much musing done, but we'll see where it takes us.

-slurp-

My wife and I did the P90X pre-checklist last night.  Basically, it is a series of physical tests and exercises that someone should be able to do before starting P90X.  Basically, if you can't do these exercises, you need to start with P90 which is their lower impact and less intense workout.  Personally, I feel we're ready for P90X but after going through the physical checks last night, my wife disagrees.

-slurp-

Here are a few examples just to give you an idea.  Jumping-Jacks.  This was the very LAST exercise test they gave you to do.  In this exercise you need to perform jumping-jacks for 2 minutes straight.  After the 1:30 mark you need to do jumping jacks as fast as you can for 30 seconds.  Once done, you need to monitor your heart rate every minute for 4 minutes.  Of course this is the very last exercise they get you to do so if you're out of shape (as I am) your body is already fatigued by this point and doing jumping jacks for a solid 2 minutes is killer.  This was the only physical exercise we didn't get.  I feel if it wasn't after 9pm in the evening after a long ass day I would have easily done the exercise, but I gave up and collapsed on the couch to watch some TV.

-slurp-

Some of the other exercises included 15 push-ups (which I barely did), 25 seated crunches with feet elevated off the floor (easy) and vertical leaps.  Other than the damn jumping jacks, I was able to perform every single exercise with very little effort which leads me to believe that I could easily do the P90X.  My wife doesn't think she will be able to keep up with me so I've agreed to start off with something a little less intense for a few weeks with her and see how we feel after that.  At the end of the day, as long as we're getting some exercise we're doing something right.

-slurp -

I feel good this morning too.  Something about crawling out of bed barely able to move because your muscles are sore from being worked that makes you feel alive (or almost dead in my case).  I love that feeling and it drives me to do more!

-slurp-

As luck would have it I was in the middle of a thought and I nearly missed my meeting.  Well, I still had a few minutes to spare but in the IT world, a few minutes can spell millions of dollars.

-slurp-

Now where was I.  Oh right, P90X!  Needless to say at this point, my wife and I will not be doing P90X right away.  She has picked up the P90 videos and some other video by the same makers which will "ease" us into P90X allowing us to really get in shape and lose these unwanted pounds.  I, for one, would love to lose some weight and really get back into shape.  I think once I get back into shape I'll be more apt to stay there; whereas trying to get into shape discourages me because I see pictures and videos of when I was in my "prime" and I want that back but do not want to put any effort into it.

No pain no gain!

-slurp-

Well folks, the time has come for me to go and get some work done.  I hope this day goes by quick, I need to start preparing my pool for this weekend; I plan on opening it up this weekend which is going to be a HUGE job.  Initially I was going to hire someone to come and do it but the two companies that were recommended to me have recently gone out of business due to the recession so I'm out of luck there.  Therefore, after watching some videos on YouTube and reading some documentation on how to open a pool, I think I'm prepared to do this myself; what's the worst that can happen? :)

-slurp-

Take care folks and we'll see you again soon.

Cheers,
Al

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting back in shape.. I wish I had your ambition. It's great that you're going to do it together.. makes a person more accountable.

    Love the new site... don't mind the ad buttons. I did click on a bunch the other day.. don't know if I made you any cents or not.. :o)

    Wish we could come help with the pool.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete