Thursday, April 30, 2009

v24.2: New Site: Day 2

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

It is Day 2 of the new site and so far I'm enjoying it.  There are a few issues to iron out still and I'm still having issues with the permission denied on some of the CGI scripts but overall the site is working well and I hope to have the permission issue fixed by the weekend.

-slurp-



Of course this day hasn't started out the best for me.  For starters I
woke up too early and got ready for work too early and left too early. 
I was in the office today around 7:30am and in the last hour I've
already completed my status report for the week, read and replied to
all my emails and have caught up on all my forums.  Amazing the things
you can accomplish when there isn't anyone around to distract you. 
Sometimes I think it would be more efficient and cost effective to just
work from home all the time.  Not only would I get more work done, but
it would be cheaper for my employer and for me!  In fact, I have no
good reason (other than having face time) why my employer is so against
people working from home.

-slurp-

Another negative thing
about the morning is my coffee.  More specifically my coffee cup which
seems to have a small hole in it somewhere.  It is one of those holes
that you know coffee is leaking out but you can't figure out where so
you just assume it has spilled from under the lid.  The kind of leak
where you put down a napkin on your desk and lay the coffee cup on it
and watch as it slowly seeps up the golden brown nectar.  The kind of
leak that just pisses me off because I probably left a puddle of coffee
in my cup holder in my car.

-slurp-

I've had quite a few
leaky cups in my day.  In fact, I had one cup that nearly burst at the
seam on me while drinking.  Maybe it was just a defective cup or there
was not enough glue put on it when it was assembled but as I walked
away from the conter with it the coffee started (slowly at first)
dripping down the side over my hand.  It was very hot too.  I noticed
that the seam of the cup had started to pull away a little bit so I
decided to drink it quickly to that point in the cup so it would stop. 
Unfortunately I was late for a meeting so at the same time I was
walking very fast back to the office.  Along the way the seam started
to separate more and more.  It almost seemed like the seam was
separating just a hair faster than I was able to drink so there was
always a constant drip.  Of course now the drip was more of a pour and
I had to tilt the coffee cup at a 45 degree angle to prevent the coffee
from leaking all over the place.  Already there was a small trail of
coffee following me from the food court and I didn't want to make it
any worse.  By the time I made it to the elevator in our building I had
finally had enough; I tossed the cup, coffee and all, into the trash. 
That is when I looked down and noticed that somehow I had gotten coffee
all over my pant legs and shoes.  Thankfully I was wearing dark pants
and blackshoes so a quick stop at the washroom for paper towel and I
was set for my meeting.

-slurp-

Of course there are other
horror stories but that one is the one that stands out the most.  There
was also another time when I had a very similar issue while driving in
my car.  Unfortunately I didn't notice the leak right away.  I'll save
that story for another time.

-slurp-

A gaming friend of
mine is coming to town tomorrow.  It isn't everyday that you get an
opportunity to meet people you've met online and I'm really looking
forward to meeting this person.  We've been gaming together for a few
years now; we've had our ups and downs just like any friendship and I
think, in ways, we've helped each other become the people we are
today.  He is flying in tomorrow morning and we have plans to hook up
with him and have some lunch.  It's strange because while I know his
real name, I it will be difficult to not call him by his in-game handle
while talking to him.  We've been calling each other by our in-game
names for so long it is like that is who we really are.

-slurp-

Well
folks, a couple Executive types just showed up at the office so I
better take my leave and bid you all a fantastic day.  I may not be
able to post tomorrow as I have a very busy day planned (provided my
boss approves the day off).  I will hopefully get the site all squared
away this weekend and have everything running just perfectly.

Until then...

-slurp-

Cheers,
Al

1 comment:

  1. I know I emailed you already about this, but your story made me lol!! I know you were probably P.O'd at the time, but looking back, you gotta admit, that was pretty funny.. If ya can't laugh at yourself... ??? lol
    Anyway, more or less just making sure my posts work with your new site :) My password was changed and now I'm good to go!

    ReplyDelete