Thursday, April 9, 2009

v23.3 - It's Thursday!

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

Normally I don't cheer about the fact it is Thursday but today is like Friday for me because tomorrow is a holiday.  This coupled with the fact that I have Monday off as well; this is shaping up to be a good day indeed.

{slurp}

My boss from New York is in town today (got in late yesterday).  He has come to town for two reasons.  The first and probably the most important is he wants to talk with the transition team to make sure we're on track for transition.  The second reason is to sit with my new team and make sure we're on track.  He will not be here all day so I'll probably have a busy morning but a nice relaxing afternoon.

{slurp}

I've received some positive feedback from a few of you regarding my musing yesterday.  I know it was a bit different than the normal musing you've grown to dread but I had to do something different.  I'm attempting to reach out and expand my writing habits and styles because I really really don't want to spend the rest of my life working in IT.  IT is a good career to have and I feel fairly stable in my job right now, I don't want to do it for life.  Granted the only IT I've ever known has been high stress working for companies who lose millions of dollars a minute when their servers are down.  I sometimes wonder what it would be like to work as a Linux/UNIX admin for a smaller company.  I'm almost certain I wouldn't be as happy because I just can't be happy if I'm not going 100 miles a minute with my hair on fire.  I like the fast pace, strict deadlines and SLAs; it makes me feel alive a little bit.

{slurp}

So how does someone make their break in the writing world?  There are hundreds of thousands of authors out there who, just like me, have a passion for writing and language.  I've mentioned before that one of my life long career choices would be to teach English.  I want to inspire other people to read and write like I was inspired to do during my high school years.  Sometimes I wish I had done more with that but every decision we make has a reason behind it; had I followed that dream I would probably have never met my wife and never had three beautiful kids all of whom I wouldn't trade for anything in the universe.  I need to focus on the here and now and find a way to rise from up from where I've been dragging my heels.

{slurp}

I know there is a fountain of wisdom here reading my Musing every day (lol) so I ask you, the reader.  What advice can you give me to break out of this cocoon and spread my wings to becoming an accomplished writer.  I don't have any delusions of being famous or being on a best seller list or anything like that.  I want to be able to write, have my work published and see it on a store shelf one day.  I want to succeed at it, don't me wrong; I just don't have any delusions of being super famous like Stephen King.

{slurp}

Anyway folks I need to signout for now.  Super busy morning here with lots of stuff to accomplish before my extra long weekend.  Until next time.

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you.. but I honestly haven't a clue as to how someone would even get started.
    I trust though, that if it's meant to be, then you'll find a way.
    As you would say Alan, "Keep your stick on the ice" :o)

    ReplyDelete