Wednesday, March 25, 2009

v22.5 - Oh Boy!

Morning all,


{slurp}


The drive into work this morning was quite an adventure.  I was both amazed and afraid at the same time as I left my driveway and made my way into work.  Little did I know the events that would unfold leading me on the greatest adventure I've ever experienced.


{slurp}



That got your attention didn't it?  I thought so, you just couldn't click that "read more" link fast enough to see what kind of adventure I had today.  Well, I don't mean to disappoint, I'm just exercising my writing skill to draw a reader's attention and suck them in for more.


{slurp}


I will say that the drive in this morning was slipery and wrought with deadly traps.  The wind picked up last night and all the open spots on the highway had blown snow over them which made for some interesting manouvering as people slammed on their breaks to avoid a potential wipe out.  Of course I don't have any winter tires on my car this year (bought a house instead) so the road was even more slippery for me.  I made it into work though, safe and sound and ready to embark on an 8 hour adventure to hell.


{slurp}


I just took a week off from this place and I've been back for a total of 2 days so far and I'm ready for another vacation.  I'm beginning to wonder what is expected from me because I'm being told one thing and then I'm being pulled in a different direction.  For example, I was told two weeks ago that I was being pulled from one of the teams I was leading so I could focus on the other team I a leading; I go away on vacation and I come back to find I'm leading both teams again.  I'm being pulled into multiple meetings to answer for things that I had no part in and had no information or details on.  Since I've come back to work I've been in 6 meetings, maybe 7.  Normally I'm lucky to have 6 meetings in an entire week.  I hate meetings, they are typically pointless and seldom come to any resolution.  Managers are famous for schedulding meetings and rarely ever accomplish anything.  Sometimes I wonder if Managers just like to hear themselves talk.


{slurp}


That begs the question: what is the point of a meeting?  Of course there are many reasons to have meetings but where is the line between meeting to accomplish something and having a meeting just to have a meeting.  I find most of the meetings we have here are a complete waste of time.  Something that could EASILY be accomplished by sending a quick email and getting feedback from a group of people.  Refer to my paragraph above regarding why I think managers like to have meetings.


{slurp}


Anyway folks, I need to jet for now and get back at it.  Today promises nothing except pain and anguish so I need to get the lube out.  Take care and we'll chat again soon.


{slurp}


Cheers,


Al

No comments:

Post a Comment