Friday, March 13, 2009

v22.0 - Fantastic Friday the 13th!

Howdy folks,

{slurp}

Big Sigh here.  Not a sigh of relief but a sigh of disgust and anger at Microsoft Windows and PCs in general.  You see I had an entire musing almost typed up and then for whatever reason my keyboard bindings got all messed up and when I went to hit my backspace key to go back and delete a funny character it thought I wanted to go back in my browser.  Of course that means I lose my entire musing I had typed up and was quite angry.

{slurp}

What was my musing about you ask?  Well, I had started talking about Friday the 13th and how the date is also associated with bad luck or ill omens.  In fact, if you'll remember, this is the second Friday the 13th in a row we've had.  According to my research, this hasn't happened for 11 years.  Also in my research I also found that Friday the 13th cannot fall more than 3 times in one Gregorian calendar year; just so happens that this year we have 3 Friday the 13ths.

{slurp}

So where did this superstition start?  Why is Friday the 13th always associated with bad things happening?  Well, I did a bit of research on that as well and came up with 2 possible origins for Friday the 13th.  I was going to just share them with you but thought I'd have a bit of fun with it and make up my own and not tell you which one is my fictitious creation.  So, if you think you can tell which one of the following 3 Origins is mine, you'll win bragging rights and a possible mention in one of my future musings.

{slurp}

Origin 1

In Norse mythology the word Friday is named for Frigga who was a free-spirited goddess of love and fertility.  When the Norse and Germanic tribes converted over to Christianity the goddess was shamefully banished to a mountain top.  The spiteful goddess met with eleven other witches and the devil himself every Friday.  This group of 13 would sit around and plot ill turns of fate for the coming week for the mortals.

Origin 2

In Christianity, the ultimate atrocity was said to have occured when Jesus Christ was crucified and killed by the Roman empire.  This event took place two days before the Sabbath, which in the Gregorian calendar is our Friday (Sunday is the Sabbath).  It is also noted in the Bible that this event took place on the 14th day Nisan which is the 13th day after the passover.  In the Bible the number 13 is constantly used to represent Love; Jesus plus his twelve disciples, 1 Corinthians chapter 13 is titled the "Book of Love".  It only makes sense that this number would be the date on which Jesus died for he gave his life for the Bible says he gave up his life for us because of Love.

Origin 3

The Knights Templar were founded in 1118 C.E..  Their mission was to protect Christian pilgrims during the Crusades.  Over the next two centuries, these Templars became very powerful and wealthy.  King Philip was threatened by that wealth and power and secretly ordered the arrests of all the Knight Templars.  This order was given and taken out on Friday the 13th, 1307.

{slurp}

You decide, I'm going to go play WoW now :)

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment