Thursday, August 28, 2008

v19.7 - Preparing to Move

Good morning folks,

{slurp}

We're preparing to move!  Yesterday we finally closed on our new house and we're thrilled to be the proud owners of our very first home.  The end of one journey has completed and the beginning of our next journey has just begun.

{slurp}

I still can't believe we're finally home owners.  After sitting on it for so many years, it is hard to believe we've finally found a place.  Of course, it also helps that we got a GREAT deal thanks to my Realtor and the place is just amazing.  Overall, we're excited and happy and can't wait for the moving to be completed.  For now, we're just happy to have the place and we've slowly begun moving boxes and bags over to get rid of some of the clutter at our old place.

{slurp}

So how do you prepare to pick up your life and move it?  This isn't the first move I've done, and it isn't the biggest move I've done either.  I was pondering last night about moving and what prompts moves and how people do them.  I think you'll mostly find 3 types "moving people":

1) The "I'm Prepared For Everything" mover who has everything written down, all the boxes are packed, labeled and ready for moving.  These people will also typically have the new location mapped out with furniture and things because they're very prepared for this move.  While it is nice to have things laid out exactly how you want them to happen, these people typically put so much time and effort into their work that when things mess up or there is an issue, they have a mental break down and can't handle the chaos.

2) The "I'm Prepared For Everything" mover who thinks they're prepared.  I believe the majority of people who move these days fall into this category.  You thought you had everything planned out, you had thought of everything and all the necessary preparations were made.  Then on the day of the move (or just before) you realize you forgot a crucial piece and are left with only minutes to complete tasks.  By the end of the day, you are throwing loose clothing into the back of your car just to get it moved.

3) The "I'm Moving?" mover is the person who, on the day before they move, decides it is time to start packing stuff.  These individuals are usually the same ones who claim they hardly have anything to pack and it should only take them a few minutes to throw everything into boxes.  Unfortunately, they are also the same people who forget things like packing tape and sometimes boxes.  If you've ever worked for a grocery store and had someone show up in the late evening looking for boxes, there's a good chance this person is moving the next day and just realized they didn't have any boxes to move with.

So which mover type are you?

{slurp}

If I had to label myself in that list I would definitely have to go with #2.  Although, this time around we are more in between #1 and #2 since my wife has really been working hard to prepare for this move.  In fact, as of the "Firm and Binding" date on our Purchase Agreement, she's been going crazy with preparations for this move.  Everyday I come home from work and there has been a drastic change to our current house.  She has packed an entire room, or has cleaned an entire room.  Both of the kid's bedrooms are spotless right now.. no toys, no clothes; nothing but furniture and bedding.  She has packed everything in their rooms sans a few change of clothes and I must admit, the rooms look great!  She's been cleaning like crazy as well.  The thought is, the more cleaning we get done now, the less we'll need to do the day of the move and we'll be able to focus more on the move itself and not the post-cleanup.

{slurp}

Yes, I have been assisting as well, but I can honestly say I haven't put nearly as much work and effort into the cleaning and packing as she has.  Then again, she has most of her day to do this and I'm at work all day wishing I was home helping her.  To top it all off, she's almost 6 months pregnant.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, the time has come to begin my day so I must bid you all farewell for now.  How do you like the new site layout?  I'm trying to get something new going here and felt this theme was working.  I need to make a few cosmetic changes but overall I think it will work.  What are your thoughts?

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo.. your musings are back and I finally got a new login for this site.. life is good.

    ReplyDelete