Wednesday, June 18, 2008

v18.5 - Thunder Rolls

Worry is a misuse of imagination.
- Dan Zadra
 
 
 
 
 
Morning Folks,

{slurp}

It is a cool, rainy day here in Halifax today.  Last night we had a bit of a Thunder storm here and it was fantastic.  I love being woken up in the middle of the night to a huge crashing sound followed by a deep rumble that seems to stretch on forever.  It was a beautiful thing.

{slurp}

I can't help but wonder what I would think if I heard such a sound and didn't know what it was.  Imagine living back in the old days for a minute.  Imagine, if you will, for just one minute.  You had just invented the wheel and were in awe at how much it would change life as you know it.  You are staring down at this new invention wondering how you would take a round rock and attach it to a piece of wood and then all of a sudden you hear this massive crashing and rumbling sound in the sky.  You look to the heavens and see flashing lights and burning streaks across the sky.  What do you do?  Well, you drop to you knees and pray to whatever god you worship to have mercy on your soul and forgive you for disobeying their wishes.

Sounding familiar?

{slurp}

I often wonder about some of the stories I heard as a child growing up going to Sunday School every week and spending close to 3-4 days a week in church learning about God.  I remember my parents waking me every Sunday to get up so we could get to church early enough to get a good seat and so we (us kids) could get to Sunday School.  I remember the days just like they were last month.

{slurp}

I remember hearing the stories in Sunday School.  Noah's Ark, Daniel in the Lion's Den, Moses and the parting of the Sea and the list goes on and on.  They've made countless movies and cartoons about these stories which depict the events as laid out by the good book, The Bible.  Now don't think I'm going to go and get all religious on you here because that just isn't my style.  I do, however, sometimes wonder about this book  and how true some of the stories are.  You need to remember that this book was written over quite a few years (thousands?) and written by many different authors.  The stories they tell seem strange to us, but only because they were written by virtually uneducated people who didn't understand the world they lived in.  As I pointed out above, the sound of thunder and the flashing of lightning to someone who doesn't know, may seem like a sign from God telling them to do something.  Lightning crashing down from the sky and hitting a tree or building may seem like God is angry, while the sun shining and warm weather could mean God is happy with his creation.  I won't sit here and go over every story in the book and try to explain things in 21st Century science (I'm not that brave) and I can't sit here and disprove the good book either as there just isn't any proof for or against it.

{slurp}

I will say this though, imagine trying to describe a tank to someone, what would you say?  Now remove all knowledge of engines, metals, guns, etc and try to explain what a tank is to someone.  This is the type of writing you will find in the Bible as there were no words to describe (with meaning) most of the natural wonders of the world so some things appear as miracles or acts of God.

{slurp}

Something to think about I guess :)

{slurp}

Well folks, I must be off and get some work done.  I'm worried I won't be getting a raise this  year based on a couple conversations I've had with people here at work.  I haven't had a raise since 2006 (not even cost of living), so I was kind of expecting one this year.  I don't know about you and your part of the world, but here the cost of living has increased drastically and I'm finding it harder and harder each month to cover off all the things I used to be able to do with ease.  I can pretty much say with all certainty that if I do not get a substantial raise this year to cover inflation and cost of living, then I will most CERTAINLY be looking for work elsewhere.  I do make a good amount here, but I've been at this same amount for almost 3 years now and the cost of living hasn't dropped last time I checked.  It is getting more and more expensive to live and with baby on the way in November, I am only going to find things more difficult.

{slurp}

Anyway, I've ranted enough about that.  Time to really go this time and get some work done.

Take care all.

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

{slurp}

No comments:

Post a Comment