Monday, June 9, 2008

v18.3 - Farewell Gramps

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

It has been a long time since I updated this site, but there have been circumstances inhibiting my updates.  For starters, my grandfather recently passed away (May 30, 2008).  The week prior to that he had a serious stroke which put him in the hospital.  He lived his last few days in a hospital with family and friends around him.  I didn't go see him those last few days, but I did make a trip down for the funeral.  It was an emotional time.

{slurp}

If you read back through my musings you will find a similar post when my Nan passed away.  I was living in Alberta at the time and was not able to come back home for the funeral.  Thankfully, one of my cousins put together this amazing slide show to a song which showed pictures of both my Nan and Gramps in their younger years.  It was deeply moving and I can't wait to get a copy of it so I can watch it again.  After talking with a co-worker about the slide show, I find out that pictures from that time period where fairly rare.  I know my Grandfather was a huge photo buff and I remember the piles of pictures they had in their house growing up.  I guess I didn't think about how rare it may have been for people to have cameras back then never mind affording the cost of film and developing.

{slurp}

I plan on heading down to my Mother's place again this weekend to pick up a few things from my Grandparent's home.  I imagine it will be difficult to go back.  You see, this place always instilled memories of my grandparents.  Even the name of the town and the area remind me of my grandparents.  To know that they are no longer around brings great sadness to my heart.

{slurp}

I have a few video tapes (VHS) here that I have been struggling to get converted to DVD.  I have the video capture card, I have the software but for some reason the damn thing doesn't capture.  I've done Google searches and checked everywhere I can think of it solve this issue.  Yesterday I watched an entire tape thinking it was being recorded and when I hit play on the recording, I see it only recorded 34 minutes.  The tape was approx 2.5hrs long.  I have a ton of hard drive space so I know that wasn't the issue.  If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to drop me an email as I'm lost at this point.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, I have been wanting to post for the last few days and didn't have an opportunity to until today.  I'm working from home here today because Katie had a Dr's appointment for the baby this morning.  Everything is going well and we heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time today.  Where there is death, there is life and the circle continues.

{slurp}

Take care everyone.  Call a family member you haven't talked to in awhile today.  I've was given a wakeup this past couple weeks about family and keeping in touch.  The last time I saw my grandfather was Nov 11, 2007 for Remembrance Day.  There were so many things I wish I could ask him and talk to him about regarding the Wars he was in and now I have no way of doing so.

Farewell Gramps.

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment