Wednesday, April 9, 2008

v17.4 - The Flu and You

Howdy folks,

{slurp}

It appears it is flu season again here.  My niece was sick on the weekend and now my son and wife are sick with something.  I'm feeling a bit under the weather myself but still well enough to go to work and get around.  My daughter is unaffected as usual.

{slurp}

This got me thinking of how certain people can get sick and others not.  I realize at a high level there is this thing called an immune system which is designed to fight off these things.  What bothers me about that is the fact we get sick every single year (some of us) and it is typically the same thing.  You could almost write it on the calendar.  Why is that?

{slurp}

Some would say it is the law of attraction at work.  Because so many people are thinking about being sick in the fall or spring (flu season) the flu is allowed to manifest itself and attack us while our immune systems take a nap and allow it to happen.  Other may take the approach that our immune systems "forget" how to battle things like the common cold or flu despite the fact they we're exposed to it many many times a year.  Some would even go so far as to say the "common" flu and cold virus has evolved every year and tricks the immune system allowing it to penetrate our bodies.

{slurp}

There are many reasons people suspect "why" this is happening but there is very little in the way of actual proof or studies done (that I can find anyway) where theories are tried.  I would like to actually find a document or paper written by a qualified expert that explains exactly why our bodies are infected yearly with the same virus.  Some of us get flu shots every year which is basically a nice way of saying, "We're injecting you with the flu virus".  The flu shot is not perfect and people will still get sick even with the shot.  The flu shot is supposed to prepare your body for the "flu season" (again with the preparation and flu season) by exposing you to a small dose of the flu so your body can fight it off.  If we're not careful, one would think our immune systems are like couch potatoes who sit on their asses all day and when it comes time to run a marathon they get up and do some exercise to prepare.  It almost seems that way doesn't it?

{slurp}

Anyway folks, just something quick to think on today.  As you can see I missed yesterday's musing (which I will write today) because it was so hectic at work and then we had dance class after work and then half the family was sick and I needed to run around and get drinks and tissues and soups.  I was so exhausted by the end of it all I decided to login and play a little LOTRO and then I watched a movie and went to bed.  Luckly I was up at a decent time this morning and had time to write this before heading off to work.  I actually enjoyed writing this early in the morning and will try it again tomorrow to see how it goes.

{slurp}

Until next time.

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment