Saturday, March 22, 2008

v15.7 - The Day Before

Howdy folks,

{slurp}

It is Saturday, the day before Easter.  You know, this is a fairly funny day as yesterday was considered a holiday here and tomorrow is considered a holiday.  You get this one day in the middle to do all your last minute Easter shopping and getting other things and then you're back into another Holiday.  I don't know why I mention this, it was just something on my mind as I started writing.

{slurp}

As mentioned, today is Saturday and despite it being a holiday weekend, all the things we normally need to do today need to be done.  We have dance class to attend, after which a Birthday party to attend and then we'll most likely be doing some grocery shopping.  Our day is packed fully of goodness and I'm looking forward to spending the day with the whole family.

{slurp}

Today, as luck would have it, is also my Father's birthday.  My sister's family is supposed to be up there visiting him this weekend.  Part of me wishes I was spending time with family, but the other part of me is glad I don't have to worry about any travel plans and can just relax at home this weekend.

{slurp}

Also this weekend, the company I work for is having their Annual Easter Power Down.  For those who don't know what that is, basically they pick several buildings globally and power them off for the weekend.  This is to test BCP (Business Continuity Plan) and to be a pain in my ass.  The amount of work that goes into a single building being powered down is silly.  A lot of it is politics and you can't get anything done that is needed without proper approvals and sign-offs.  I mean, come on!  They are powering the building OFF, if you don't let me do this, then you will lose ApplicationX for the whole weekend.  You can approve this and let me do my job, or you can be without the application.  Personally, it is a LOT less work to let them power the thing off and lose access to applications for the weekend, but that isn't the way it is supposed to work.  As I mentioned, they also use this to test BCP.  Well the funny thing about that is they do a whole pile of work to ensure stuff is going to be available.  A true BCP test would be to just power the building down and see what lives and what dies (application wise).  Then you have simulated a proper loss of building which is the way these things SHOULD go.  But I'm just a consultant and lowly IT person, so what would I know?

{slurp}

Anyway folks, I must be off so we can being our busy day.  Take care..

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment