Thursday, March 6, 2008

v14.2 - Thoughtful Thursday

Morning folks,

{slurp}

Keeping theme with my other musings this week, I've decided to call this one Thoughtful Thursday.

{slurp}

First off, today is Thursday so I had to have the day in there and secondly, I'm very thoughtful today; that is to say I am full of thoughts.  Last night I was going through some very old emails.  I was looking at pics, jokes and various other kinds of emails I've received over the last few years.  I saw emails from friends, family members and even old forums/sites I signed up for that no longer exist.  I started to think about the Musings and where they will be in a few years from now.  Although I've been musing on-and-off for a few years now, I often wonder what would happen if all of a sudden my site went down and the musings stopped.  Would anyone outside of my immediate family even really the musings or ever find reference to them online?  Possibly not, which seems a bit disheartening when you think about it.  The web is so massive these days that you can find virtually anything online.  It is easy to sit down and pick your favorite search engine and type in what you want to find.

{slurp}

I was reminded of my childhood last week when my son had a school assignment to complete about Tasmanian Devils.  We went to Chapters the book store and they didn't have anything about Tasmanian Devils there.  We checked Walmart and found nothing.  We changed several places around the city and couldn't find anything useful about Tasmanian Devils.  What did we end up doing?  Going to Staples, picking up some ink cartridges for the printer and going home to do a Google search for Tasmanian Devils.  Low and behold, there was so much information available we had to pick and choose which pictures to print off and what information to use.  We did all that in under 30 minutes while we spent over 4 hours earlier that day driving around and checking out all the stores.  People are calling this the "Information Age" and it is becoming more and more apparent that individuals no longer need to leave their homes to get information and if everyone knew how to use a search engine, they could find out anything about anything they wanted anytime they wanted.

{slurp}

I guess it is easy to take having the internet for granted; like electricity or running water.  We just expect when we hit that light switch that the lights will come on, never thinking otherwise.  We just assume when we turn the tap on that water will come out.  I just assume that when I sit down at my desk and turn on my computer that I will have internet and be able to browse the web and find information, read my email and check on my forums.  The internet has almost become a necessity in daily life.  In fact, for some, it is necessary to do their jobs and more and more companies are relying on the internet to drive their business.  It is a bit scary when you think about it.

{slurp}

Without the internet I wouldn't be able to communicate my thoughts to you all.  And my thought right now is I need to sign-off and get some work done. :)  Thanks for dropping by today and I hope to see you here again tomorrow.

Until next time.

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment