Thursday, October 25, 2007

What Tomorrow Brings

Good Morning Folks,

It has been a few days since I posted.  This is because I've been working from home because my son has been sick with some kind of cold/flu virus.  Normally, working from home would be the best time to write, but things have been a lot crazier than that.  It brings on a whole new meaning to "What Tomorrow Brings".

First off, as you are all aware, my Team Lead gave his notice a couple weeks back.  This is his last week here and we're going to miss his humor and leadership.  Well, I found out on Tuesday that our Project Manager has also given his notice.  Other than myself, he was the only other person who knew more about the product I support here and with his knowledge leaving, I'll be the "goto guy" for this product and everyone will be asking me questions.  Not sure I like that position.

Yesterday, I found out one of my team mates has given notice and will be done next week.  This person has been wanting to leave for awhile and I'm happy for him because he is going to be moving on to do something he really wants to do.  Lucky Bastard!

This all happened over the last couple days and I am just returning to the office today to find all this out.  I can't even begin to gather my thoughts on this to share with you.  I'm very confused about my future here and very confused as to the direction I want to take.  In one hand, I have an opportunity to take the leadership role of this team and become a manager.  The job comes with a pile of new stress, but may have benefits if I work it correctly.  On the other hand, I have a job opportunity within the same company to do something a bit more interesting.  The issue with solution two is the uncertainty that comes with it.  The team will be a new team to the company and it hasn't been fully outlined yet.  I may be walking into a disaster, or I may be walking into a great opportunity.  What do I do?

For now, I want to focus on today because there is no way of knowing what tomorrow will bring.  I may find another co-worker quitting today or tomorrow.  I may find this leadership "opportunity" forced on me with no way out of it short of quitting.  I don't really want to fret about what may happen at this point as the situation is very fragile and I have a LOT of work I need to get done.  This is a huge distraction and is causing a lot of doubt and stress among the people here.

So what do I do?

I'm going to start by signing off here and then begin my work like it was any other day.  Until told otherwise, my role and responsibility hasn't changed.  I will work through the day and hopefully have nothing major to report to you tomorrow :)

By the way, my son is fine now and back in school.  As I mentioned, he was down with a bit of a cold/flu virus that kept him out of school all week this week.  Tomorrow they have the day off so in total he made it to school one day this week (lucky kid!).

Anyway, take care folks and we'll hopefully see you here tomorrow.

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment