Friday, February 10, 2006

v11.4 - Freaky Friday

Morning folks,

{slurp}

Its FRIDAY!!

{slurp}

Oh yeah', 'Well, another Friday is apon us and we sit at our jobs (or at home) and wonder what the heck we're going to do this weekend.

I feel weekends are often wasted. We wait all week for the weekend and when it finally arrives, we tend to sit back and do nothing. Then before you know it's the weekend, you are staring Sunday night in the face wondering where the last two days went.

{slurp}

I find weekends in Halifax a lot different than the weekends in Calgary. I think the biggest difference is Sunday. Here in Nova Scotia, it is illegal (or seriously frowned on) to have a business open on Sunday. I believe the rule encompasses business that have a certain square footage of space. For instance, most corner convience stores and certain gas stations remain open on Sundays, but bigger stores like Home Depot are closed.

This makes Saturdays quite hecktic around here as everyone is out shopping and picking up their wares before the dreaded Sunday comes. For those of us who work all week long, we usually only get out on Saturdays to buy the things we need. Hell, even our "24 hour" Sobeys (grocery store) closes at midnight Sunday morning. What the hell type of 24 hour store is only open 6 days a week??

{slurp}

Coming back from my rant and getting back on the "Weekend" discussion, I tend to feel down during the weekend. I've tried to analyze the reason and have come up with a couple possible reasons:

1) Weekends aren't long enough and by the time you've finally figured out its a weekend, Monday morning is only a few hours away.

2) You start off by having all these fun plans and end up doing none of it because you're either too tired or not feeling up to it.

{slurp}

Weekends should be a fun relaxing time for people. A chance to do things you couldn't normally do on a week day. My wife and I tend to play video games a bit more on the weekends. We go out for a drive sometimes or we'll just sit back and do nothing. A waste of a weekend? Most times it is.

{slurp}

I'm reminded of a friend in Calgary. This friend used to spend every Saturday morning with his friends and family over breakfast. I often wondered about doing something similar, but whenever a Saturday came around we would either not have the cash to do it or we'd wake up in such a staggard mess we wouldn't have time to make it for breakfast. Perhaps this is more of a self disiplin issue than the above. If we REALLY wanted to do it, we would get our asses out of bed and do it. Same goes for pretty much anything in our lives. If I wanted to quit smoking, I'd have the will to stop. Part of me wants to, but the other part likes it.

You can't do stuff half assed and expect the results you want.

{slurp}

Work has been going ok. I've been very frustrated with management lately and I've started creaping out from behind my shell to voice my opinions. I think I've set a few people back by this as I was "quiet" level headed guy at the office. Yeah, we find stuff to *censored* about all the time, but to actually come out and show your frustration and anger is a whole different matter.

Its still a LOT better than GE/CompuCom was.

{slurp}

Well folks, work beckons and I must come hither. I hope you all truely do have a great weekend. Make the most of it as you can. Even if you work yourself stupid all weekend, you'll still feel better Monday morning than you would if you sat around and did nothing.

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment