Wednesday, October 5, 2005

v10.5 - I like Asian Girls

Morn... errr.. Evening Folks,

{slurp}

Well, it is a beautiful day and there is a cool breeze coming off the ocean into the downtown core of Halifax. Ahh, lavish happieness abounds.

{slurp}



Well, before I get too far into this musing, I should explain the title a little bit. I can only imagine Katie's face right now. I love you Hun!

{slurp}

First off, Katie already knows that I used to perfer girls of the Asian persuasion. She used to poke fun at me everytime we saw a pretty asian girl walking down the street. She has made comments here and there about it and it has become a running joke for a number of years.

Well....

Today, while Katie was walking our son home from school, he tells her he likes a couple girls in his class. He describes them as dark haired, yellow skinned and funny looking eyes. Well, you can imagine the first comment that came to Katie when she heard this... Like Father Like Son.

{slurp}

Turns out, my son has picked up my female prefrence. I can only hope that some day he finds a beautiful woman like I did with Katie. Of course, if he is anything like me he will have his share of dive girl friends and female aquaintences that will leave him in shambles. Such is life.

{slurp}

Today has been a good day for me. Work is just flying along and I'm already 5 hours away from quitting time. I have a picture of my family on my desk now (been forgetting it at home) so I have something to look at other than the bad refresh rate on these damn monitors. The air conditioning is pumping along and we are just 2 more days away from Thanksgiving Weekend. I received an email from my mother inviting us all to her place for Thanksgiving. Can't wait to get down there and partake of some of my mother's cooking; it's been a LONG time.

{slurp}

Halifax is a beautiful city. There is this route I take every morning when I drive in. Basically, one piece of it is a residental area full of houses, apartment buildings and various other buildings. It is slow with a bunch of stop signs and windy roads. I can only imagine how much fun my pal Fred would have driving through this city.

There is one big turn in the road and when you come around, the horizon opens up and you see the Halifax harbour. At that time in the day (approx 1:30pm) the sight is just awesome. From there I drive downhill through this windy road and make it to what is called the Bedford Highway. I follow the highway all the way to Barrington Street which is the street I work on. Barrington Street basically follows the harbour all the way to the downtown core. It is a beautiful drive and I get to see a lot of boats and container ships on my way to and from work everyday.

{slurp}

I really missed the ocean and water in general. Calgary was a nice city to live in, but it lacked decent lakes and big bodies of water. Yes, there were a lot of big bodies IN water, but not a lot of big bodies OF water. I'll miss that place a lot as I left behind a lot of great friends and my baby sister.

{slurp}

So the plan is to head to my Mom and Mike's place this weekend. I hope the kids are on their BEST behavior. The last couple times we were visiting I felt so embarassed by the way my kids were acting. My mother and Mike have already had their moments of parenthood and I'm sure the last thing they want is to become parents again. It is partly my fault for not being as strict with them, buy hey, their kids. The last thing I wanted was for my kids to 'fear' me the way we used to fear our father. I want my kids to be able to come to me and talk to me about anything. I didn't have that with my father, he always seemd so distant when we were kids. Something I have changed now as him and I can talk about anything, but back then it was hard. I don't want that to happen between me and my kids. Discipline is hard. Remember the old saying? This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you! At the time we all laughed and thought, YEAH RIGHT! Why don't you ben d over and let me paddle your ass with a wooden spoon then. Little do we realize (until we have kids of our own) how true that statement is. Disciplining my kids is so hard, in fact, I tend to avoid it whenever possible. I save the discipline for the very bad acts like crayon on the walls AGAIN or blatent disregard for the other sibling. It was driven into my head (and backside) many times that I was NEVER to hit or raise my hand to my sisters. They are just Girls! was the reason I used to get. Well my parents, your daughter can throw a wicked punch when she wants to.

{slurp}

One day my sister and I were joking around and she hauled off and hammered me right in the shoulder with her fist. I don't think I had ever been hit so hard in my life! It wasn't so much the force behind the punch, it was the pinpoint accuracy of the punch coupled with the small boney fist that inpacted my flesh, muscle and bone. My shoulder was swollen and brused for about a week aftwards. I'll get her back though, when she least expects it, I'll get her back!! j/k :)

{slurp}

Well gang, my coffee is about half gone and I stll have a few more hours of work to contend with before I can go home. Keep your sticks on the ice eh (sorry Hun) and we'll see you again real soon.

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment