Tuesday, October 4, 2005

v10.4 - Testing 1 2 3

Evening Folks,

{slurp}

Let me start off by stating this may or may not work. If you''re reading this, then it worked. Otherwise, you won''t get this musing and it won''t matter. I''m working on a way around my lack of webmail access to send emails so I''ve written a little web based script that I can execute from work to send my musings.

{slurp}



So how has everyone been? I''ve been quite busy and quite frustrated lately. Moving across the country is no easy (or cheap) task. It seems like every day there is something else I over looked and end up having to cough up more money or get stressed out because I lack sufficient money to cough up.

It is VERY damn frustrating.

{slurp}

The drive across country was fun. The cost of gas was astronomical! I can''t believe the government can sleep at night by charging so much tax on gasoline; it is criminal.

{slurp}

We are finally getting settled in our new place and actually have some furniture (thanks Mom, Aunt Linda, Nanny Locke and various other contributers) to sit on. Katie and I are still sleeping on a queen sized air matress, but we have fun on it :)

The kids have adjusted well to the move. Our son has started his first year of Grade Primary (aka Kindergarten) and is making new friends and having fun. It was hard for him at first because it is a strange place for him and he is meeting strange people. He is also going to a school which ranges from grade primary to grade 7 or 8 (I think). He is doing fine and I''m sure he will adjust just fine.

{slurp}

Our daughter takes things very well. She can go from sad and missing someone one second to wanting to watch TV or play on the computer the next. Other than missing Grandma and Grandpa who are still in Calgary, we are all doing well and taking it day by day.

{slurp}

Work is.... well... good. I was a little disappointed at the things we were promised that didn''t turn out. For example, this musing is being written to you from my desk at work and it is currently 9pm in the evening. Yes, 9PM! My shift is from 2PM to 11PM Atlantic Standard Time (that is 1PM to 10PM Eastern). I hate the shift because I never get to see my son unless I''m up before 8am to see him before he goes to school and he gets out of school at 2:30pm and I''m already at work. BIG change from what I was used to at my old job, but we''re told this won''t last forever.

Yeah Right!

Just like we were told we would have to work these shifts MAYBE in the New Year. Hell, we haven''t even been offically trained in the envornment here yet and they are already leaving us on our own throughout the night watching over the most important systems in the company; backups.

{slurp}

Aside from a few broken promises and misleading comments, the job is ok. I still haven''t seen my first paycheque yet (this Friday hopefully), but that may change my attitude about things.

Whoever said the cost of living in the East was less than in Alberta needs a swift kick in the ass. They didn''t know what the f!@# they were talking about.

{slurp}

So I was just interupted by my co-worker. You guys know him as my brother-in-law. He decided he wanted to read my musing now while I was typing it instead of waiting for it to hit his inbox. We were looking at the main Musings over Coffee website and I saw the tag line that states:

Random Writings of a UNIX Administrator and Gamer

Hell, that isn''t true anymore. I told him I was going to change it to:

Random Writings of a Netbackup Babysitter and GAMER

Gamer being all in caps because I''m more of a gamer than a Netbackup Babysitter. Seriously folks, this job is nothing more than a glorified overpaid babysitting job. We sit here and watch the event monitor making sure there are no major issues. If an issue comes up, we fix it or escallate it to the level 2 people. I interviewed for an Administrator position and I get here and find myself chained to a f@#$ing desk for 9 hours watching a color coded screen of events. F!@# THAT!!

{slurp}

But I''m not bitter.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, wanted to fire this off to let you all know that I fully intend to pick this back up again and start sending out a musing every day again. They won''t be early morning musings like before, but there will be musings again!

THE MUSINGS MUST LIVE!!

{slurp}

Have a great night and/or day everyone. See you tomorrow/today

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment