Friday, August 19, 2005

v9.7 - Deja vu to You

Morning folks,

{slurp}

IT''S FRIDAY!! Behold, another week of work is finally behind us and another week looms over the short horizon of weekend. Hopefully next week I get this offer letter early and I can get things rolling to move back East.

{slurp}



I received a phone call yesterday from my recruiting officer. Basically, she told me everything was going great and my refrences came back pefect so they are moving ahead as scheduled. I hope to have an offer letter sometime early next week. I''m getting very excited about move back home and I can''t wait until I''m finally on the road heading East.

{slurp}

How many of you here have ever experienced a sense of Deja vu? I would have to guess most people have experienced this once or twice in their life time. It can be a very strange feeling sometimes especially when you''re somewhere you''ve never been before (or so you think) and you experience a sense of being there before.

Deja vu is a french word meaning "Already Seen". There are several types of Deja that are quite common among people; the deja visite (already visited) and deja vece (already experienced or lived through). What exactly causes this strange sense of familarity? Well doctors and scientists seem to agree that the sense of deva vu is associated with temperal-lobe epilepsy.

{slurp}

In some cases, people who experience deja vu are at the onset of a temperal-lobe epileptic attack. Some psychiatrists ascribe it to a mismatching in the brain that causes the brain to mistake the present for the past (odd). Many parapsychologists (someone who studies the evidence for such psychological phenomena as psychokinesis and telepathy and clairvoyance) believe it is related to a past-life experience.

In other words, nobody has a sweet clue why it happens, but they do know it has something to do with the brain and how our perception can sometimes be altered giving us a sense of being there or saying/hearing something we think we already heard.

{slurp}

Everyone remember ''The Matrix'' when it first came out? I remember going to the theater and watching it. I remember the scene where Neo sees the black cat walk by and then right after it again. He says, ''Whoa, Deja vu''. The reason for Deja vu was described as a change in the Matrix code resulting in a skip of time or a roll back. Even though they were IN the Matrix, they were not OF the Matrix and therefore did not experience the same type of Deja vu.

I thought it was interesting how they could bring something like that into a movie. Something that has yet to be fully explained and throw it into a movie giving a very simple explaination. :)

{slurp}

Anyway, that is all I''m going to say about that today.

{slurp}

I''ve been asked by a few people how I get the information I do for my musings. Well, let me start off by saying the Internet is your friend and search engines are amazing tools when used properly. I don''t mind sharing my secrets and throw some tips out there to those who may not know exactly what they are looking for.

For starters, definitions are HUGE with me. If I read a word and don''t understand that it means, I find out. There are two ways I can do this:

http://www.dictionary.com is a great site to look up words and see multiple meanings. There are even links to similar words with similar meanings as well as oppostite meanings.

http://www.google.com has a nice feature called "define". Basically, if you type ''define: wordhere'' google will go out and search for the definition of a word and report back several meanings. When I defined the word parapsychologist for this musing, it brought back the meaning of the word as well as the meaning of the word parapsychology. Very useful tool as well when you''re in a hurry and don''t like waiting around for load times of other sites.

By finding the meanings and correct spellings of words, I learn how to write better and am able to get my points across more easily. Of course, I do write very early in the morning which usually results in a ton of misspelled words and horrible grammar. OH well. :)

{slurp}

Google is by far my most favorite online tool. I use sites like http://maps.google.com , http://froogle.google.com and even the web based email http://www.google.com/gmail

I like when I mistype a word in google it will come back and ask me if I meant something else. This is useful for finding the correct spelling of words quickly and also saves you from hours and hours of searching for something because you were a dumb ass and misspelled the word by mistake. Hats off to google on a GREAT job!

{slurp}

Anyway gang, I must depart for now and get things rolling. Have a ton of things I need to get done today before the weekend and my potential resignation the beginning of next week. I hope you all have a safe and happy weekend!

I have also setup an old game on my server at home. Those of you who lived in the BBS days and did a lot of BBS surfing may remember a game called Legend of the Red Dragon (or LoRD). This game is called Legend of the Green Dragon and it based on the LoRD game. In fact, the only differences seem to be all the refrences to the Red Dragon have been changed to Green Dragon. :) I have setup a little game server on my server at home for those who want to try it out. Basically, I''ve made it very easy to gain levels, gain coin and all that stuff. After all, it''s a game. You can hit it at http://musings.fiendz.net/lotgd

Take care my friends and remember to tip your waitress.

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment