Thursday, June 23, 2005

v7.0 - Live From Training

Morning folks,

{slurp}

Got in a little early today and thought I should fire off a musing to you all. This has been a pretty good course so far and I''ve learned quite a bit about stuff that may or may not help me in my current job. :) I was a little disappointed at first because this entire course (despite being a Sun course) is based on the Windows operating system. We haven''t touched much on the Solaris side of things (yet?) but a I have been able to successfully been able to hook this bad boy up remotely to our systems in the office.

{slurp}



The course is called Sun System Identity Manager. Basically, the application allows for administrators to manage and maintain user accounts across many different platforms and repositories. Since we may be getting some projects or support calls on this system, we (the company) felt it may be useful to have some people trained on it. I do quite a bit of playing around with the system and yesterday was able to hook it up to sync our user accounts on a Solaris box at our office over SSH back here to the training facility. My instructor was quite impressed as he has NEVER seen it done before. I have also been able to figure out how to dump user account information to mysql, oracle and of course Windows. I am quite impressed with the product despite having it run on a Windows operating system. There is a Solaris version of it available, but I hesitant as to whether it will work as cleanly.

{slurp}

Anyway, the course is good and we are having a good time playing and experimenting with everything. As I mentioned last week, I wasn''t sure if I was going to be able to put out a musing this week. I don''t have much to write about as my days have been filled will training and then relaxing at home. I''ve also been having some issues with my PC at home which has made it difficult to play WoW. I''m trying to figure out if it is the client giving me issues or if it is somehow heat related. I have 6 fans inside my case (include CPU and Video Card) which should provide AMPLE airflow in there. The case itself has one fan mounted to the side panel blowing air in and 2 fans on the back blowing air out. Also the Power Supply has a fan inside the case blowing air out the back to another fan on the back of the powersupply. I doubt it is heat related because I can play any other game on that machine and never get a solid lock.

{slurp}

Such is life :) Today is basically the last day of the course. We have 4 modules left to cover and they are fairly short. I suspect we will get 3 of them done today (if not all 4) and then the last one tomorrow. My instructor (who turns out, is also a smoker) tells me we will be finished with the course by noon on Friday. I was looking at possibly getting some new tires for my car on Friday. WalMart is having a "special" on tires right now and I should be able to put 4 brand new tires on my car (installed) for approx $170. I''m not looking for anything fancy because the lease on my car is up at the end of August. I''m replacing the tires for cheap because if I want to trade the car in early and they are going to ding me around $500 to replace the tires. This way I''ll save just over $300 and hopefully be able to get into something a little bigger for the family. The Camery is a nice car, just too small for us at the moment.

{slurp}

Alright gang, people starting showing up for the course so I should sign off and bid you all good day. I may get a musing out tomorrow depending on how early I get here and all that jazz.

Take care my friends and remember to watch the weather channel for important weather advisories in your area.

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment