Wednesday, March 23, 2005

v1.8 - Hump Day Extravaganza

Morning folks,

{slurp}

Today''s musing will be fairly short as I have a ton of things to get done today at work. However, that has never stopped me in the past from delivering the most entertaining collection of worthless information on the net :)

{slurp}



Last night was fairly uneventful for me other than the fact my Income Tax Return came in the mail (yay!). I''m quite happy about this as it will enable us to pay off some bills and be prepared for the dreaded...

dun dun dunnnnn

APRIL!!

{slurp}

Yes, I said April. April has to be one of the busiest months for us at the moment. Even busier than December if you can believe that :) Why you ask? Well, we have about a million birthdays in April that we need to cover. Three of which being myself, my wife and our son. On top of that, my sister''s birthday is in April, my wife''s grandma, a couple of my nieces and I''m sure there are a few more I''m missing :)

{slurp}

We are in the middle of making a decision on what we want to get our son for his Birthday. He has been asking for a lot of things, but the one thing he hasn''t really asked for much that he would absolutly love would be a new computer. Our son, even though he is only four years old, is a damn amazing computer wiz. I foresee one day he will become a great master. Typically we show him how to do something once and he will remember it. Hell, he had even memorized our DAoC passwords and could determine which password to use based on the login name. He''s an amazing child.

{slurp}

Some would frown on the fact we want to get him a PC for his birthday. Gang, this is the 21st Century. Our children will live in a world more technically advanced than we could ever imagine. Just look at the rate of technological advancements in the last 10 years. Think of that same growth rate and apply it to the next 10 years. Computers and Technology is going to be a large piece of this world and I want my son to be prepared for that future. I''ve read dozens of articles about how exposing your children to computers at an early age can be damaging to kids. I''ve heard that it can seperate them socially from other people later in life. I''ve heard it can stunt learning and all that other BS. My son is 4 years old, he knows his alphabet, he can count to well over 100. He can tell time, he can add and subtract. Hell, the kid even knows how to play Minesweeper. I love my son and would NEVER do anything to damage his future and I feel getting him his own PC will actually help in the long run.

{slurp}

With that in mind, it is never healthy to be sitting in front of a PC ALL the time. He is a very physically active child and only plays during certain times of the day. With his own PC my wife and I will need to keep a watchful eye on his time and make sure he is getting the proper exercise and doing his chores around the house. He knows what it feels like to be grounded and we have taken computer privileges away from him in the past when he has stepped out of line. Our son is familar with punishment and definately knows right from wrong in that respect.

Enough about that stuff, I''m just thinking out loud to a bunch of people :)

{slurp}

Some good news to report to ya''ll. I''m getting a new server!! Ordered it last night from Dell and it should arrive within the next couple weeks sometime. This power house is going to be replacing my exsisting server for my web hosting services. My father and I are in the middle of working on a transition plan to migrate the data across to the new machine and setup server clustering to provide optimum performance and business continuity. This is going to be an exciting project and I''m really looking forward to setting it all up and getting it running. As a result, there may be a small glitch in the musings but I''ll make it up somehow :)

{slurp}

Well gang, need to run and get some work done today. My boss is going away to Hawaii tomorrow for a much needed vacation. When he gets back he''ll be getting ready to leave for Dallas to meet with some of the big wigs in our company so I have a bunch of stuff to finish up today before he leaves and then get ready for the tasks I''ll be given to take care of while he''s gone. Some times being responsible and reliable has its disadvantages :)

{slurp}

Take care my friends, and keep your sticks on the ice!

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment